Hey all!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Brett
    Participant

Hey guys, my name is Brett and I’ve been studying Gnosticism for the last eleven years or so. I converted from Protestant Christianity to being a “Gnostic” in about 2007, and have been looking for a good online community to join. I hope we can all build an inclusive community together =)

Birch
    Keymaster

Hi Brett! So glad that you joined in over here. The site will have things added to it, so hang in there. Although I have some roots in Catholicism, it was Wicca that got me looking into Gnosticism, which was where I found Gospel of Thomas (even though technically not Gnostic, the Gnostics seemed to use it quite a bit).Facebook really doesn’t do justice for intimate yet inclusive communites these days so I too hope we can build something awesome and inclusive.

Brett
    Participant

Yeah I understand what you mean about Facebook, unfortunately it seems to have completely replaced message forums, but I feel like it’s really crappy for the kind of lengthy discussions that religious topics require.

I’ll do my best to check in at least once a week, b/c I know it takes a long time to build a community, and hopefully it won’t take long to get some people on here 😉 I’m feeling a little burnt out on everything at the moment so it will be easier for me to join in conversations than start them right now. I graduated school in December and passed boards in April and I’m still not feeling quite like a normal human being yet. I honestly haven’t had any time or desire for spiritual stuff except listening to podcasts like Talk Gnosis, Aeon Byte, and a few others here and there about Hinduism/Buddhism (I can barely understand anything from those though haha).

Anyway I hope you are doing well, and am very interested in hearing about what you’ve been exploring.

Birch
    Keymaster

It does take a long time to build a community, yes. I think it’s easy to shut down communities when there is little interest but sticking around to be a space for those who need that space is good.
    You’ve always been pretty busy with projects and such, and schooling can be an extra drain, congrats to you on your graduation though!
    I just finished a class on Hinduism through edX. It was put on by Harvard Divinity. Very good little program. It was a great way at breaking down the various parts of Hinduism – and the Dharmic paths have been a huge inspiration to me.
    Also taking Judaism at the moment and finishing off their class about Christian scripture. So far it isn’t new information, but presented in a new manner.
    Though relearning about early Christianity I am reminded again of the distance between what Jesus taught and what Christianity became.

Brett
    Participant

Is there a very good record of what Jesus actually taught? First century Christianity seems to be a huge mystery from everything I’ve seen/heard.

It sounds like you’ve been taking some really interesting classes. There is always so much to learn, and even if I had the time my memory is too bad to learn as much as I would like hahah

Birch
    Keymaster

A good record? No, Definitely not. However if we look at what the early church fathers in 300 etc taught and the subsequent high Christology, cathedrals and all… it is not very similar to the words of a Jewish rabbi who was very likely influenced by the House of Hillel.
    There is little that Jesus taught that was actually unique – but what was unique was the reception of the intended audience.
    I think it’s one reason why Gospel of Thomas is so appealing – it does not place itself as it is in either Christianity or Judaism but the bridge between both.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar